Bart GODDYN (°1975) is a senior legal counsel with several years of experience as attorney in international law practices, as in-house counsel and as legal consultant to international companies. Bart focuses on transactional and advisory work and has particular legal expertise in intellectual property, ICT, media, antitrust, litigation management and compliance. His practice cuts across all fields of technology, including Pharma, Life Sciences, Health Care, Food and Nutrition, ICT, Media, Financial Institutions, Manufacturing and Industrial Services.
As an attorney, Bart’s work included long term legal project management for the top-tier global asset manager Fortis Investments (now BNP Paribas Investment Partners) and for Cargill, an international producer and marketer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. Bart left private practice to take on the position of Cargill’s Intellectual Property lawyer EMEA. At Cargill, Bart was responsible for all intellectual property agreements and legal advice to Cargill’s EMEA businesses, to its R&D centers and to its team of European patent and trademark attorneys. Bart left Cargill to establish GODDYN BV, a legal consulting firm which allowed him to go back to legal practice for various projects and clients of different companies. Since then Bart served as a legal consultant for, inter alia, Johnson & Johnson and as Legal Director and Data Protection Officer of leading European cell therapy companies TiGenix (acquired by Takeda in 2018) and Celyad Oncology where he covers the broad range of legal matters relevant to the biotechnology industry.
Bart is a mediator and an official arbitrator in .eu domain name disputes brought before the Czech Arbitration Court in Prague. He has lectured on Media and Intellectual Property law at the University of Leuven (KU Leuven, Campus Brussel) for almost 15 years.
Bart earned his master of laws degree (J.D.) from the University of Leuven (KU Leuven), a master of laws (LL.M.) in Intellectual Property law from the University of Brussels (KU Brussel), a master of laws (LL.M.) in Competition law and Economics from the Brussels School of Competition (BSC) and a postgraduate degree in Health Law and Ethics from the University of Antwerp (UA). He also qualified for a selection of courses in the interdisciplinary Master in European Business program of the Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel (HUB) which included courses on interest representation and decision-making in the EU. Bart is currently pursuing an Executive MBA at Université Catholique de Louvain (UCLouvain) and Baltic Management Institute (BMI).
Bart completed an accredited training course on mediation and conflict resolution organized by bMediation. In addition, he completed several development programmes such as the certified Negotiation Programme at the London School of Economics and Political Sciences, and the Oxford Executive Leadership Programme at the University of Oxford.
Bart is active in global and national legal/industry organizations and in local charity projects.
RECENT SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS AND TRAINING & SEMINAR PARTICIPATIONS include:
- Ongoing: training courses for business clients
- Guest professor Media and Intellectual Property law, KU Leuven (Campus Brussel), 2006 – 2020
- Trade Secret Protection in Biotech, Licensing Executives Society, Brussels, 20 June 2019
- European Patent Reform Forum 2018, MIP, Paris, 11 September 2018
- IP Law Europe Summit 2018, MarcusEvans, Montreux, 21 – 22 June 2018
- IP Law Europe Summit 2017, MarcusEvans, London, 20 – 21 November 2017
- IP World Summit 2017, Legal IQ, Amsterdam, 25 – 27 September 2017
- European Patent Reform Forum 2017, MIP, Paris, 7 September 2017
- International In-House Counsel Journal Conference, IICJ – Law Society, London, 28 March 2017
- IP Life Sciences Exchange, IQPC, Munich, 15 – 16 November 2016
- EU Directive on Trade Secrets, LESI, Madrid, 4 November 2016
- European Patent Reform Forum 2016, MIP, Paris, 8 September 2016
- Drafting and Negotiating Clinical Trial Agreements, Falconbury, London, 10 May 2016
- Managing and Leading an Effective In-house Legal Department, Falconbury, London, 10 – 11 March 2016
- International Licensing and Manufacturing Agreements, Management Forum, London, 2 November 2015
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution, bMediation, Hasselt, 96hrs from March until July 2015
- Mediation in R&D Disputes, WIPO, Brussels, 19 – 20 March 2015
- European Contract Practice for R&D Projects, European Academy, Berlin, 16 – 17 October 2014
RECENT PUBLICATIONS include:
- “The AstraZeneca Competition Case: Patent Strategies Constituting Abuse of Dominance” (click here)
CURRENT PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS include:
- Licensing Executives Society International (incl. LES Benelux)
- Knowledge Network of the European Academy for Taxes, Economics & Law
- Leuven Innovation Networking Circle (Leuven.Inc)
- Association for International Arbitration (AIA)
- CEPINA40 (Belgian Association for Arbitration)
- VRG Alumni (KU Leuven Law School Alumni Association)